Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Your Town-Pajama Program By Kathleen Giordano







The Pajama Program held their Christmas Cocktail Fundraiser at the well-known Skin-Klinic Spa in New York City this past December. Guests donated pajamas, gift certificates, books, and cash donations to needy children.The Pajama Program, founded by Genevieve Piturro and Alice Pagano Quirk in 2001, is a not-for-profit organization that provides warm pajamas and books to needy children in the United States and around the world. Many of these children are waiting to be adopted and have never known the comforts and stability of a compassionate, doting and supportive family unit. Many of them have never ever been tucked into bed in the evening or have someone cuddle with them and read a well-known children?s' classic or children's best seller. These kids have been abandoned, abused, neglected and deprived of any love at all.The Pajama Program's mission is to provide a loving environment for children who have lived through an enormous amount of hurt and to help make their tomorrow brighter, better and more hopeful."At the start of Pajama Program, I visited a Center for children with no fathers and whose mothers are in prison. I brought with me 12 pairs of pajamas that had recently been donated. As the children came into the room, they viewed the pajamas I'd spread out on a table. Each child chose the pair he or she wanted. After about four children made their selections, one little girl came over to me. "Where d I wear these?" she asked. I answered, "To bed at night." She looked at me, puzzled. "What do you usually wear to bed?" I asked her. "My pants," she said quietly. I looked at the suddenly far too small selection of pajamas that I had brought and my heart sank. "This will never do. We need more....much, much more. We need your help." says Genevieve Piturro, Founder Pajama Program.

No comments: